Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Woods in the wind

No, not Tiger...persimmon. I still have a couple of actual tree product drivers and 3-woods. My Citation driver is about 4 or 5 degrees stronger than the Ti wonder, with [of course] a much smaller face/hitting area/sweetspot. And a shorter shaft and about 2 ounces more weight (which amounts to 17%. And zero trampoline effect, but more gear effect.
All of these factors make it a tempting choice for an old geezer. 
  • The smaller hitting area is no problem, because I don't create a lot of clubhead speed, and the ballmarks on the face of the bigger drivers indicate that I tend to be very close to the middle 95% of the time, anyway. 
  • The slower one swings the club, the less feel one has, and the added weight of the persimmon club makes up for that, since feel = weight x speed. 
  • The lower loft of the face means straighter shots and lower shots that won't plug in soft fairways.
  • The smaller face means that I can tee the ball almost as low as I do for an iron tee-shot, and not have to use a special "modern driver swing" that catches the ball on the upswing.
  • The only negative is that the modern ball just doesn't spin the way the old balata did, so there's less lift, but on a windy day...I might have to try that!

No comments: