Thursday, February 5, 2009

My little secret

I find it difficult to impossible to completely empty my mind, but I've learned to do something that allows me to make a stroke - not really a swing - without having words in my brain.
After I've visualized the flight path of the ball and set up in a way that will produce that (based on several million ballstrikes in my past), I look at the ball and start counting the dimples. While I'm counting, which takes some amount of concentration to actually focus on the dimples, without any further thoughts about anything - not my body, my hands, the shaft, the clubhead - the stroke takes place.
Sometimes, maybe once or twice per round, everything goes according to plan. Since that's about as well as Jones, Hogan, Woods, Nicklaus ever did, I'm content.

No comments: