Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Foot (or, more precisely, Heel) Work

Way back in the Snead era, I learned to raise my left heel on the backswing, then "trigger" the downswing by planting that heel firmly on the ground and rotating around it. I've never been even moderately flexible, nothing like Snead, but the two-inch lift probably gave me an extra foot or so of clubhead travel back, and through, which meant that I had more time to generate head speed on the downswing.
Then I read Hogan, and started keeping the heel down more and more, until I stopped lifting it altogether.
Now, pushing 69 years of age, I'm working to re-establish the heel lifting. Not easy, by any means, but rewarding me with more headspeed, which means more distance with every club.
More important, it reduces the strain on my oft-injured lower back.

No comments: