Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Two-day experiment

Killed two birds with one stone. I've been told by pros, golfing buddies, etc., how wrong it is for me to play with blades [aka musclebacks] (Currently, Mizuno MP29s) and with stiff shafts to boot. Well, long story short, I played two rounds with a set of Ping Eye2 BeCu (Super-Game Improvement, according to the Maltby Playability index) irons with a senior shaft.
They are now back at the consignment shelf. Cost me a total of $30 to "rent" them for two days. Only two problems with them: with the soft shaft, the head sometimes came swooping in looking left, sometimes lagging back looking right. Occasionally, I'd hit one dead straight (I never play for that) that might go either a little shorter than I expected or a LOT SHORTER. My normal carry distance with a 7-iron is about 135 yards. The PingEye2 was good for a carry of about ten yards less (when struck low on the face). Probably due to more loft and more bottom-weight. BUT I tend to hit down and through, in the middle of the face, on my good swings. And hitting on the middle or higher with those things I couldn't get more than 95-100 with the 7-iron.
Sure are pretty, though.

No comments: