Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Why the short game is so important

Because it takes the pressure off the long game, and allows more birdie-hunting. If a flagstick is tucked behind a trap, the conservative play is to hit to the fat part of the green, the riskier play is to gun it at the flag and count on height or spin to stop the ball.
After decades of emulating Hogan's strategy of going for the safer shot, I've started shooting at all the pins -- sucker pins as well as the 'green-light specials'. Hell, if I'm 40 feet away in the middle of the green, 3-putting is a possibility, but if I'm 20 feet away in a bunker, I've got just as much chance of making par, because I know I can get out and leave myself a makeable putt. And if the shot comes off as planned, I'm confident that I won't bogey the hole, and have a reasonable chance for birdie.

No comments: