Tuesday, September 1, 2009

IMPACT: The Essential Thought

Golf is, in the limit, all about impact. I've found that I can't play the game with Snead's 'blank mind', but I can drill down to a single sense impression.
  1. The thought process starts with an overview of the shot I want to play; the landing area and the trajectory that I want to employ, either straight, draw/hook or fade/slice.
  2. Then I leave that thought, and go to the setup, stance and alignment, and clubface orientation. I follow Hogan's example: the body can only accommodate one swing sequence. The hands and body must perform the same task repeatedly, but inserting the club in the hands is like inserting a drill bit into a chuck. I start out with the grip on the club with the face perpendicular to the line of flight, then turn the handle clockwise to produce a left-to-right shot, anticlockwise to promote a right-to-left trajectory, then aim accordingly.
  3. Then I leave thought to and revisit all of the sequential cues and feels that make up my swing, from the takeaway to the shoulder hitting the chin to the left heel plant to the transitional hip sequence to the finish pose
  4. Then I leave all of that behind, and concentrate on approaching impact feeling as though the knuckles of my left hand are above and behind my left wrist. I know, intellectually, that they're not, and that my right hand is in fact driving the clubhead down, but I also know that it takes almost 1/2 of a second for a sense impression to reach the brain. And I know from experience that this sequence of thought gives me my best chance to hit a decent, acceptable golf shot.
THAT'S ALL I CAN ASK. Or say, today!

No comments: